What is a tooth bridge?
Tooth bridge for 1, 2 teeth or more is a fixed orthodontic crown construction that is mounted on natural teeth or implants on both sides of the included defect. The extreme crowns fix the structure in a row, and the middle ones make up for it.
The only situation where the prosthesis cannot be installed is the end defect of the row. But it is correctable if you do the implantation.
If several teeth located in a row are immediately damaged or missing, a tooth bridge can be used to restore them. This is a fixed orthopedic design, which is a few connected in a row of artificial teeth. It is fixed on the abutment teeth located on both sides of the destroyed natural teeth, or on specially installed implants.
The advantages of bridges:
- natural appearance;
- complete restoration of chewing function – up to 4 teeth in a row;
- preservation of diction;
- addiction is minimal – 8-12 hours;
- budget and mid-price segment (depending on the material).
The disadvantages of the method:
- grinding of supporting teeth;
- due to the increased load, traumatic occlusion of the supporting teeth is possible.
Bridge dental prosthetics is performed in several stages. First, a visual examination and diagnostic tests of the oral cavity are performed. If necessary, depulpation, strengthening and treatment of the teeth of the support are carried out, they are grinded under the crowns of the prosthesis. The color is selected, casts are taken, on the basis of which the bridge is subsequently made. After trying using special dental materials, crowns are cemented on supports.
Indications for dental prosthetics with bridges:
- small and medium defects in the dentition in the lateral and anterior sections (up to 4 teeth);
- the absence of one molar in the chewing area.
- The patient must have healthy abutment teeth that can withstand a sufficient load, otherwise the installation of an implant will be required first.
- acute inflammation of the oral cavity and throat (stomatitis, gingivitis, tonsillitis) (temporary contraindication);
- the absence of more than one molar, three or more premolars, or 4 teeth in the “smile zone”;
- pathology of the bite;
- osteoporosis and other diseases of the jaw bone;
- severe periodontal disease;
- pathological abrasion of teeth.
There are several tooth bridges types
Dentures differ in manufacturing techniques, material and degree of fixation.
Solid cast structures made in the dental laboratory have the highest strength.
Adhesive prosthetics allows you to simulate a bridge directly in the oral cavity.
Stamped and stamped-brazed prostheses are practically not used in modern dentistry due to the significant weight and high injury rate of the supporting teeth.
For dental prosthetics, bridges can be made of metal, ceramics, plastics, cermets and zirconia. The aesthetic appeal, cost, strength and durability of the structure directly depend on the selected material.
Metal – are practically not used at present, because despite their strength and low cost, they have low aesthetic characteristics and can lead to the destruction of supporting teeth.
Ceramic-metal – durable, reliable and safe dental bridges. These are ceramic structures on a metal frame. They have a natural appearance and have the best combination of value and quality.
Plastic – lightweight, low-cost and hypoallergenic designs, installed for a short time. Low strength and high manufacturing speed allow them to be used as a temporary measure in the correction of dentition defects.
Zirconia – ceramic artificial teeth on a frame made of zirconia, have a low weight and good strength. Such prostheses exert minimal pressure on supporting teeth and are able to withstand increased loads. They look aesthetically and naturally, hypoallergenic and completely biocompatible with the tissues of the human body.
There are three types of connection between the intermediate part of the prosthesis and the mucosa.
Flushing – under the body of the prosthesis there is free space that facilitates hygienic care.
Tangent – artificial teeth touch the mucosa on one side.
Installation of a tooth bridge. The cost of the design itself is not so great, even when using modern ceramics. Often a significant proportion of prosthetics is the preparation of the oral cavity for it. The whole preparation and installation process goes through the following stages:
- Stage 1. Oral cavity sanitation – dental treatment, removal of tartar and plaque, removal of a nerve from supporting teeth, other according to indications;
- Stage 2. Grinding the teeth, making casts to create crowns;
- Stage 3. Manufacturing of bridges in the dental laboratory of the clinic;
- Stage 4. The installation of the prosthesis on the teeth and its fixation using dental cement.
For the tooth bridge to last for a long time, it is enough to brush your teeth and rinse your mouth after eating at least twice a day. A fluorinated non-abrasive paste and a soft bristle brush are recommended.
The cleaning of the flushing space and hard-to-reach areas between the teeth is carried out using an irrigator, dental floss or dental brush. A routine inspection at the orthodontist must be done at least once every six months.
Install a dental bridge in our clinic in Staten Island in order to forget about any problems with teeth for many years.
We put crowns on the abutment teeth in such a way that they will serve much longer, and you may wear bridges not covered by the warranty, but 2 to 3 times longer.
Check here for the reviews from our patients – those who visits the clinic from the first days and those who joined us just recently.